The wetland indicator status ratings for our plants is based on the US Army Corps of Engineers’ 2016 Wetland Plant List for the Atlantic and Gulf Coastal Plain region. This is what they mean:
- OBL - (Obligate Wetland) Occurs almost always under natural conditions in wetlands. Found in standing water or seasonally saturated soils near the surface
- FACW - (Facultative Wetland) Usually occurs in wetlands, but occasionally found in non-wetlands
- FAC - (Facultative) Equally likely to occur in wetlands or non-wetlands
- FACU - (Facultative Upland) Usually occurs in non-wetlands, but occasionally found in wetlands. Predominately occur in drier sites or where water rarely saturates the soil.
- UPL - (Upland) Almost never occurs in wetlands.